It is becoming increasingly common for global companies to deliver wellness programs for their entire workforce. Read on to understand geographical privacy laws for personal health data storage.
While there are a large number of wellness providers who advertise “global reach” with their programs, when you ask them what the associated Privacy Laws are, you are likely to receive a myriad of answers.
Personal Health Information Storage
Numerous myths and misunderstandings exist relating to the geographical requirements for the storage of personal information, particularly sensitive Personal Health Information (PHI) in wellness technology.
- Must it be stored onshore?
- Can it be stored offshore?
- If so, in what locations and under what conditions?
- If the data is physically stored in the country of origin, can it be accessed for support and troubleshooting by someone in another country?
- What about a remote screen share where the data is not actually crossing international borders?
We at CoreHealth decided to get to the bottom of these questions, so we consulted privacy experts on the matter…
Global Privacy Laws
As it turns out, there are several levels of privacy law throughout the world. While you may presume that third-world countries have less stricter laws; you may be surprised to learn some first world countries are viewed as providing inadequate protection of data. It is risky to guess which is which.
Don’t worry – it’s written in layman’s language!
Other Helpful Resources
You may also find these resources helpful in your research:
- Global Data Privacy Laws and Employee Wellness Programs
- 6 Best Ways to Prevent Privacy and Security
- 6 Most Common Privacy and Security Vulnerabilities
Ready to Discuss Global Privacy?
Contact us to talk with a privacy laws expert and learn more about global privacy.
About CoreHealth Technologies
CoreHealth Technologies Inc. is the leading corporate wellness platform trusted by more than 1000 organizations, ranging from medium-sized businesses to Fortune 500 enterprises. At CoreHealth, we believe that developing the best employee wellness programs is all about giving wellness companies the right code, design and access to the latest innovations. With the most customization, integrations and reliability of any software in its class, CoreHealth’s powerful platform lets users focus on growing great companies. For more information, visit the CoreHealth website.